Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Steal of the Week

Now and then, I'm hoping to have a new feature called Steal of the Week, where I'll list a purchase I made that was a steal, or on clearance or something like that. Yesterday, I found a copy of "The Big Lebowski" Collectors' Edition at Target for $3.49! I immediately snatched it up. "Big Lebowski" is one of my favorite movies, if you haven't seen it, see it now. I have the original DVD, and refused to buy this version when it came out. It barely had any new features, and they certainly weren't worthy of a newly released Special Edition, but these studios are greedy. People must have seen through the studios' double dipping, otherwise it wouldn't have gone on clearance. But I was willing to buy it for that price.

Now I'm waiting for Target or some other store to put the special edition of "The Boondock Saints" on the clearance rack. That was another shameless double-dip. They put 6 seconds of extra blood, called it a "director's cut", recycled a commentary, added another commentary by Billy Connelly who doesn't even appear until 3/4s of the movie is over. Studios have to stop this. I don't mind them rehashing a popular movie and releasing a Special Edition, but they should at least make it worthy to those who love the movies, not a shameless money grab.

No comments: