Monday, January 7, 2008

It's All Over But the Crying

Upon getting home, and doing some surfing, I looked at the headlines on Yahoo (my default homepage) and saw the headline "Teary-eyed Clinton Vows to Fight On." I immediately thought of Edward Muskie, the Democratic frontrunner for the election of 1972, and how his Niagara Falls crying display hammered the nails in his presidential coffin.

It would appear that history's about to repeat itself. Crying? Seriously? But yeah, it's probably coming to a close for Hillary anyway. Coming behind Obama in Iowa, by itself, isn't fatal. But coming in third behind Edwards, whose prospects by most mainstreamers were all but nil, and losing to Barack in women is a potential deal-closer for Obama.

I'm relieved. Hillary, I'd say by far, is the most right-wing conservative of all the major candidates, maybe all the Democratic candidates in this primary. The right-wingers will scoff, but it's true. Iraq doubtlessly hurt her. Her arrogant ways toward Obama in terms of her experience versus his inexperience, I'm sure, also turned a lot of people off. Personally, "experience" in government is a huge detriment for a candidate. And exactly what experience did Hillary have? She served most of her career as a first lady for Bill, first when he was governor, and later as President. She played one pivotal role in his administration, as the head of his health care reform program, and we all know what happened there. After that, she was in charge of conducting Easter egg hunts and things like that. And finally, in a cynical move, she became a New York resident and ran for Senate here. I know I'm getting off-topic, but half the candidates shouldn't even be in this race. IMO, the first and only duty of a holder of an office, should be to his or her constituents. Hillary (and to be fair, Obama) talks about what she's going to do, and how much experience she has, but she isn't even tending to the needs of New Yorkers. She's too busy running for president in New Hampshire.

But yeah. I don't mind having a woman run for president. Just not Hillary, and it's looking like many Americans agree with me. The Hillary Clinton candidacy was a media creation in which the public never got on board. And also, our spiraling cycle toward aristocracy will be broken, at least for awhile. I was dreading the 20-25 year period of a Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton presidency, in which two families are throwing around the presidency like a hot potato (or a joint at a party, to quote Mos Def on Bill Maher's show).

But I digress. I doubt I'm going to vote next year. Obama's message of "hope" isn't a campaign platform. Hillary's a flake. Kucinich can't win. I do like Edwards' message, but the corporations have this country by its balls, so I'm sure he'd be neutralized if he became president.

No comments: