Monday, August 6, 2007

The Pursuit of Happyness

I saw this movie with Will Smith tonight, "The Pursuit of Happyness", thinking that it'd be an okay way to kill 2 hours. But it really made me think. It made me think, for one, about how lucky I am. That although I don't have a job at the moment, I was able to save to prepare for such a possibility, so I don't have to worry about money the way Chris Gardner (who is based on a real person, and Smith plays him in the movie) did. I'm surrounded by all these luxuries that I take for granted, including the computer I'm typing on. Now that I have all this time on my hands until I get something, I go down to the Starbucks that just opened near me and I have a few cups of coffee, maybe a snack, while I'm reading and looking for work. Chris didn't have the money for coffee, plus there probably weren't any Starbucks in his day either.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm pampered. I've had to work hard to get my degree, and I walk a lot because I can't drive. Not to boast, but I do walk long distances sometimes and people look at me in disbelief when they realize this. I'm disabled, and I've had to overcome quite a bit of challenges. I still have more battles to go. But this movie's helped make me realize that I didn't do it all by myself. I've had help, a loving family (well, my mom and brother anyway) who's always been supportive and have helped me realize these opportunities. Not everyone has that.

There have been times when I'd feel sorry for myself and would obsess over the opportunities that have been denied to me over the years for being the kind of person I am. There have also been times when I'd tell myself that I've done a lot, when no one expected me to, that I got my degree, and that it's okay to sit back and relax, and not to worry. But this movie showed me that you should never feel comfortable, that you should always keep striving and pushing for your dream, no matter the pain or the hardship. The more I think about it, the more I want to make law school, and being a lawyer, happen. It's going to be a lot of work, and cost a lot of money. But I can't let that deter me. This is my due.

But you really should see this movie. It's very inspiring and has a great message.

No comments: