Monday, August 20, 2007

Now thinking of being a paralegal

While researching for jobs, and thinking of going to law school in a few years, I had a thought that becoming a paralegal might be a good idea. It can help train me for law school, and if I decide against going, I'll still be certified to work as a paralegal. I read of the opportunities and the professional outlook for paralegals, and it's pretty stellar. It's really slated to grow over the next decade, as a lot of firms are looking to save money and delegate more work originally allocated to lawyers, to paralegals instead. And it looks to only cost a few thousand dollars for a course, so it might not be a bad investment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff...My name is Yolanda, and I'm having the same thoughts as you. I am doing some research and came across your blog. You echo my thoughts - if you decide you don't really want to go all the way, you still have this great skill set to work with. I don't know if I want to make that huge commitment to law school right now, nor do I have the money. I'm turning 30 this year and time is of the essence. I'm just tired of switching jobs, I want a CAREER!!!

Jeff said...

Yolanda,

Thanks for commenting on my blog, I'm glad it was useful to you. I am in the exact same boat. I'm 28 and I'm hearing the clock tick. I don't want to switch from job to job my entire life, I feel I'm a smart person and have skills that would be of value to a lot of people. I just wasted the last three years of my life managing a retail store, and just left last month. But it's been more difficult to find an entry-level job, where I could move up and make a career, than I thought. So I just took a part-time job at another retail store, just to have something to do.