Thursday, August 23, 2007

"Captivating Conspiracy???"

Another great post from Liz and the Contemplation of Preponderance blog. This is about the game our politicians and corporations are playing with us in the form of the rising-and-(slightly) dropping gas prices.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I noticed something last week that I felt I needed to research a bit. This morning, I heard on the news that some gas station owners in California have the same impression I do, so I think it's time to share my view. Due to some horrendous circumstances that began last month, I found myself, after nearly two years of semi-monthly trips to town as a passenger, suddenly; twice daily in the driver's seat. I found myself noticing the gasoline prices diligently, with just a feeling that "they" were getting ready to play with them again. I mean, the whole world, with the exception of the neo-con following, realizes, the American administration has done everything within its power to anger every oil rich nation on the globe. And those of us that are not neo-cons are also aware of this power play being perpetrated on us by government or corporate oil powers or both. With the history of the players, between Haliburton and Zapata Oil, it's truly difficult to differentiate between political power and corporate control.
Anyway, as I observed the price going down for the three weeks I was making my same trek, morning and evening, I was truly thankful that the prices were declining, but waiting for what I have found to be the pattern and protocol of the past few years. It seems there is a pattern of a small decline in price, then a fairly noticable one, then the "super unleaded" gets a few pennies cheaper than "regular unleaded," then it all goes up, markedly, at the pumps, when the tankers roll in the next week or two and refill. As I say, I've been watching this for a few years, but this time, I realized, we the people have so come to accept this treatment, that "they" didn't even wait for the tankers to roll in or for the "gas war" to be official. Remember when there was a certain day of the week, or month, depending upon the size of the town, that each station or company received their gasoline delivery and the price would fluctuate, accordingly? Well, not any more! Literally, overnight last week, all the gasoline prices in the area went up by 20 cents a gallon. And . . . we accepted it again! "They" know we will! How in the world, did every station in the area receive a new shipment of gasoline in that twelve hour period? And it was all the companies, well, the few that haven't merged, anyway. What did I learn from this little observation. The cost at the pump has absolutely nothing to do with the price of the gasoline when it's delivered. If this is acceptable business practice, just what is collusion?
We the customer have become the consumer, and we are at the mercy of those in connivance. Just how does a government police itself when it comes to corrupt cronyism?
My son . . . If they say . . . let us lurk privily for the innocent without cause:We shall find all precious substance, we shall fill our houses with spoil: Cast in thy lot among us; let us all have one purse: My son, walk not thou in the way with them; a Proverb of Holy Scripture

No comments: