Monday, October 15, 2007

College student in trouble over posting video

First, the story:

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2007/10/12/regent-2l-lands-in-hot-water-over-pat-robertson-photo/?mod=djemWLB&reflink=djemWLB


I don't know what to make of this. I think it's bad what Regent is doing to this guy, but at the same time, you have to factor in what kind of school it is, and that Robertson is the President. You couldn't have possibly expected something like that to just pass unnoticed.

As for Key, I think it takes stones to be a liberal and attend a school like Regent. I also think it takes a lack of common sense. I think he made the wrong decision to attend Regent, also because he doesn't seem to be getting a proper legal education. So he wrote a 14-page brief defending his posting on the grounds that it's satire protected by the First Amendment. I've never been to law school and I can dismiss that in one sentence. A student gets no First Amendment protection in a private school.

Lastly, he's doing himself no favors by fighting it and letting the story go national. Some potential employers are likely to remember this. He should have just took the video down and moved on.

No comments: