Saturday, September 15, 2007

Fred Thompson

Fred Thompson is a GOP presidential candidate who just, very recently, has thrown his hat in the ring. I don't know much about him other than that he's fairly conservative, and I've seen him in some movies like Die Hard 2, In The Line of Fire, as well as Law And Order. Oh, and his wife is hot. Anyway, he's come under fire from a statement he made Thursday, that he didn't "remember" the details of the Terri Schiavo case. Since it happened two years ago, I guess he should remember, right? But no matter. Anyway, this guy's coming under fire, and I know I'm probably in a minority, but I find him a very savvy man. The Schiavo case was one of those situations, in which no matter what position you took, you were pissing people off. A large number of Republicans disagreed with how Congressional Republicans handled it. Congress passed a bill into law to put Schiavo back on the feeding tube, a bill that was rebuked by every court up to the Supreme Court. So, it was a case that sharply divided people, especially within the Republican Party. Why take a position on it that's going to lose you votes, when you can make a benign statement like "I don't remember?" Two years is an eternity in the newscycle anyway, isn't it? It's perfect.

Thompson has finely-honed political skills. I thought waiting so long to declare his candidacy was an act of genius. Why come under scrutiny and be confined to fund-raising limits like the other candidates, when at the same time, you can go on the news and talk shows and use those as a platform? Then, and only when the time is right, declare your candidacy. I'm sure I won't like him in the White House, but I admire his astuteness.

No comments: