Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Starbucks and Wireless

Hi,

As you know, I bought a DS and a web browser. I'd been having problems staying connected at home, today's my day off, so I figured I'd pay a visit to the new Starbucks that opened here, have a couple of frapes, and surf the web on my DS. Little did I know, (yes, I'm naive, I know), that you have to PAY for wireless at Starbucks.

I found this really good blog called Starbucks Gossip, it's an unofficial blog by someone within Starbucks, I'm presuming. There's a really good blog post on this topic, as well as some really good responses. I can see their reasoning for charging for wireless in the sense that you don't want people coming in, buying a $1.50 cup of coffee, and just sitting down all day using the free Internet. But why throw the baby out with the bathwater? I'm not one of those people, and would have been glad to have a few cups of coffee, in exchange for a free wireless connection to the WWW. But seeing that it wasn't free, I just had my one large frappe and left. As others have suggested in this blog, why not make wireless access dependent on your coffee purchases? An hour's worth of free wireless in exchange for a large frappe (almost 5 dollars) sounds fair to me. I don't know how this would be implemented, but I'm sure techies could figure it out. But having to pay for wireless when I'm already dropping mad bills for coffee? No thanks.

Read the Starbucks Gossip blog post here: http://starbucksgossip.typepad.com/_/2007/04/starbucks_spoke.html#comment-72484644

No comments: