Friday, June 1, 2007

Sin City 2 in danger of not being made

While my brother was looking up Moviefone for showtimes for Mr. Brooks, I noticed this blog entry:

Michael Madsen Says 'Sin City 2' Might Not Happen; Blames 'Grindhouse' Bomb

Last we heard about Sin City 2, the script was finished and Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller were gearing up to start shooting later this summer (apparently, Rodriguez may also have a teaser prepared). But then Grindhouse bombed at the box office. According to an interview with Michael Madsen over on Premiere.com, those Grindhouse failures might end up squashing the entire Sin City franchise going forward. When asked about the highly-anticipated sequel, Madsen replied: "They haven't shot it yet. I don't know if they ever will. I am not sure [about] the franchise. I think the Grindhouse thing didn't kind of work out..." But has he even seen a script yet? "No. I talk to Frank Miller quite often. He came up to my house and we drank a lot of tequila. Frank is pretty funny. I haven't seen the script for Sin City 2. I don't know if they are gonna make it. I hope they do. And if and when they do, I will be in it."

Call me crazy here, but to put the kibosh on a very lucrative (and entertaining) franchise all because one film (geared toward a very particular audience) didn't do well at the box office would be -- how shall I say this and not sound cruel -- utterly moronic. I tend to think that Madsen won't be brought into the loop until its time to shoot his scenes, but you'd think the guy would've at least seen a script if the film was supposed to start shooting in a month or two ... and he was in it. Could it be that The Weinsteins were so let down by the performance of the Rodriguez/Tarantino flick that they're actually questioning moving forward? Seeing as we haven't heart anything in quite some time, there might be some truth behind what Madsen is saying. And if so, that's a real bummer. Premiere also asked the actor about his participation in Quentin Tarantino's WWII epic Inglorious Bastards. As far as that goes -- guess what -- Tarantino is still writing it. When will this guy ever finish writing it? More importantly, will The Weinstein Co. back that one if they eventually decide to wipe their hands clean of Sin City? Lots to talk about folks -- what do you think?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know what to make of this. I think Madsen's a great actor, and he seems like a pretty cool guy. However, what he's saying doesn't make much sense. If the Weinsteins put the kibosh on the Sin City sequel, which will definitely make money, because of the "Grindhouse" debacle, than they're, to put it simply, fools. Same if they don't do "Inglorious Bastards", whenever Tarantino is finished with it. These guys are highly successful filmmakers, whose films don't even cost that much to make. I think Grindhouse cost around 17 million or so, but I'm not counting marketing, which I'm sure cost a lot and which is what cost the Weinsteins money on it.
I hope there is a sequel to "Sin City", I loved it. "Grindhouse", on the other hand, ehhh... I enjoyed Rodriguez's film, but Tarantino's was, horrible. I never would have dreamed I'd say that about anything affilated with him, as I have always immensely enjoyed everything he's done. But "Death Proof" just didn't do it for me.

But yeah, for the disappointment "Grindhouse" was, the Weinsteins are making a big mistake if they cancel a popular franchise such as "Sin City."

No comments: