Sunday, July 15, 2007

What I'm Going To Do Now

I broke the time-honored rule of "Don't leave your job until you find another one first." I've heard that so often over the past few years, and it's rung true ever since I started having bills. But to me, these were special circumstances. I'm so fortunate that I was able to save money these past few years. All too often, I'd really want something, but I held back, knowing that I wanted to get ahead and put away some money. I am really hoping I'm not out of work too long, lest my savings get depleted, but I saved enough so that I can take my time looking for the right job, and not take the first thing that comes along. I can also pay my bills for a few months without being in a panic.

But nonetheless, I'm going to hit the pavement tomorrow and look for work. I'm going to go to the Onestop Employment Center, which is supposed to have free fax and copier use. I'm also going to the library, as a place to relax and type up resumes. In the meantime, I really want to get involved in some form of volunteer work. I was a political activist over 2 years ago, and I was very good at it, I ran a presidential campaign locally, I ran on the ballot as a delegate, I formed a political organization, but I'm not sure if I'll go back to that. It's very back-biting and stressful. I want to do something a bit more charitable and in the general spirit of goodwill, rather than getting involved in something that coincides with my political beliefs. We'll see, but I'd love to do that. That's the one part that excites me about being in between jobs.

Of course, I'm not going to be "all work, all the time." I just worked nonstop for the past 3 years, I'm also going to try to take a breather during this time. I'm going to see "Sicko" sometime this week, I've been putting it off the past few weeks, but now that I'll have more than one day off a week, I'll certainly see it.

As far as this blog goes, I think I'll definitely be able to update it more. The hours of 12 PM to 8 PM will now be my oyster, whereas before I was at work and my boss had a strict "no Internet" policy. I really want to try to add new features and make it look more distinctive. I might try to get a further understanding of HTML during this time as well.

These last few posts have been more for myself than for the general public, but thanks for reading just the same. We'll get back to our regularly scheduled programming soon.

No comments: