Friday, July 27, 2007

Gospel 2.0: Jesuits move into Second Life

I'm not so much interested in this article for the religious aspect of it (although a religious sect trying to mark their territory in a virtual universe is interesting) as in the concept of a virtual universe itself. I've known of such things, but I just Wiki'ed Second Life, and it sounds really interesting. It sounds a lot like one of my favorite novels, "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson. The only thing goofy is that you can pay for property (like a house) with real dollars. Granted, a U.S. dollar is worth around 276 virtual dollars, but I still find it funny. Can you take out a virtual mortgage? Do you have virtual insurance? But it sounds like it has a lot of possibilities, I might well check it out. In the meantime, read this article here.

No comments: