Thursday, February 14, 2008

I Don't Care if Clemens is Lying

I'm with Dave Winer of the Huffington Post; I couldn't give less of a fuck what Roger Clemens put into his body. So, it begs the question, why has the media invested bottomless resources and time into this story? Or into Laci Peterson's murder, Anna Nicole Smith's death, Heath Ledger's death, Britney Spears' latest breakdown? I could go on and on. When I thought of news and journalism, I thought of events that were actually important and had some kind of effect on our everyday lives. To me, I think of things like our falling dollar, our sinking economy, our two unwinnable wars, our deplorable health care system, things like that. I don't think, and I also don't think most Americans don't look at events like Clemens' alleged steroid use as being massively important events.

Is it worth a news segment? Yes, absolutely. But nonstop, wall-to-wall coverage? No fucking way.

And shame on Congress too. With the events that I mentioned, plus many more that are very important, this is what they're spending their time and taxpayer money on? To ask Roger Clemens whether he used steroids? That is, when they're not spending time figuring out how to protect the telecom companies. Just an unacceptable waste and a serious lack of priorities.

No comments: