Sunday, June 8, 2008

Spanish

I realize that I haven't been updating the blog as often as I would want, again. I keep vowing to spend more time, because I do have a lot of time. But I'm always finding things to do with that time, that unfortunately, don't involve blogging. Lately, I am beginning to learn a second language, that being Spanish. I took it in high school and a few classes in college, and of course, once I got them out of the way to fulfill my course requirements, I promptly forgot most of what I'd learned. But I'd wager that most everyone else who takes these classes in school does the same.

But that doesn't make it right, though. And now I'm at the point where I'm trying to find any viable job skill that an employer would welcome on a resume and jump upon it. And to me, one of the most important job skills is being bilingual. I've seen good jobs that I had to pass up because they required the applicant to be bilingual in English and Spanish. When you're out of work and your wallet's getting lighter and lighter, you start to reassess your priorities pretty quickly. In this shitty economy, you have to be competitive, and I think being bilingual would certainly give me an edge.

I'm using this great program called Rosetta Stone through my library, which is unfortunately being discontinued on August 15. So now, I'm blowing through the lessons, and writing down what I learn. I retake some of the lessons every day, as well as do one or two new ones, just so I don't forget. I also want to try to spend more time in Spanish shops or restaurants, anywhere where I could use and practice my vocabulary.

No comments: