Thursday, April 10, 2008

See No Evil, Hear No Evil

Every now and again, I make a great find. I was in Target earlier, just picking up the necessaries (and a few luxeries, although I had to put some back due to my money crunch and the economy). On my way out, I looked in the DVD section for the hell of it. I'm a big-time DVD hound, but I haven't bought many of them lately. I go to the library a lot and take out DVD's from there, so I don't spend a lot of time with my own. Anyway, I see the usual suspects, they always tend to have the same selection. I was kind of looking for a movie I saw recently, I Heart Huckabee's, which I really liked. I didn't see it, but my mind guided me there for a reason. In the comedy section, there was one copy (yes, just one) of one of my favorite comedies: a gem called "See No Evil, Hear No Evil" (1989) with Gene Wilder and the late Richard Pryor. They made 3 movies together (4 if you count "Another You", which I heard was terribly awful, and Pryor was already stricken with the effects of MS at that time if I recall correctly), and everyone talks about "Stir Crazy" and "Silver Streak" as their pinnacle. "SNEHNE" is kind of like the black sheep, and that's a shame, as I think it's hillarious.

So many great laughs in this one. Pryor and Wilder work very well off each other. As a terrific bonus, you'll see Kevin Spacey in one of his first roles, and he has a horrible European accent. It was just released on DVD last year, and regrettably, it's bare-bones. No special features or deleted scenes. But it's still well worth the money, I got it for 8 dollars, you probably won't see it for more than ten. If you do, get it, you won't regret it.

No comments: