Monday, February 6, 2012

An Especially Cynical Act by a Rich Man, and That's Saying a Lot!

I don't want one to think that I hate or envy the well-to-do.  I don't begrudge anyone for being wealthy and being able to live well, particularly if they got there through hard work.  But in many cases, that doesn't seem to be what happens.  They're either born into it, or they, frankly, cheat.  I don't know the story behind how this guy made his millions, but judging from this story, I'm pretty certain that he got his riches through one of the two methods I just described. 

This guy, John Goodman (not the actor), is a founder of a polo club in Palm Beach.  A couple of years ago, he was driving under the influence, ran a stop sign, and hit another driver, killing him.  The driver's parents are suing Goodman for wrongful death.  Mr. Goodman came up with a novel idea to protect his wealth.  He adopted his 42-year old girlfriend as his daughter.  This new "daughter" will be entitled to a third of the money in a trust set up by Goodman for his two actual children.  This plays off as a shallow, cynical move by some rich prick to protect his assets, and I really hope whatever court this goes to doesn't fall for it.

No comments: