Thursday, July 21, 2011

Turnabout is Fair Play

A Colorado woman was arrested and faced sexual abuse charges after groping a female TSA agent in Phoenix Airport.  However, one attorney general felt the facts didn't merit the felony charge, so now it has been downgraded to a misdemeanor.  Hopefully, she won't be charged at all. 

The TSA has been violating the Fourth Amendment rights of many Americans since 9/11, through their pat downs and their body scanners.  This has only been at airports, but I hear it might be coming to train stations and bus depots as well.*  I'm sure a lot of people who endure this experience may not like it, but they sure as shit don't do so much as audibly vent in front of TSA agents.  This woman went one step further, and gave one of them a taste of their own medicine.  I do fear that the TSA will really bear down, since they have stated, in the wake of this incident, that they "won't tolerate assaults on its employees". 



*I do believe heightened security measures have been implemented in many other public places as well in the wake of 9/11.  I know that when I go to Citifield (and Shea Stadium before it), we must open any bags as well as get patted down by stadium security.  I am not even a baseball fan, and do not like going for this very reason, but what we do for family.

No comments: