Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Drill, Drill, Drill!

This is a really good blog from James Kunstler, I think it was from last month, chiming in on the "drill, drill, drill" mentality of many people and why we are in for a big disappointment. But Kunstler says that drilling offshore is still worth doing, since it will smash our dreams of solving the oil problem. Even in the best, most optimistic cases, this will still take years to reap anything fruitful, and it's very unlikely to offset the depletion of oil throughout the world. Further, while complimenting Boone Pickens (he's the oilman who's come up with a plan for replacing our electric power system, which runs on natural gas, with wind power) for showing some vision, he blows holes in Pickens' idea of natural gas as an alternative for oil to fuel our cars. In addition, and this is me talking, I saw Pickens on Larry King last month and he was talking about how we have abundant natural gas, "we" as in the United States. Where? I thought we reached peak production in natural gas years ago, and that a lot of NG is being exported from Canada, which are themselves either at peak or near it.

While I don't have as much time to research P.O. since I have 2 jobs and am going to school full-time, I still follow it as much as I can. I really also want to work on the art of being self-reliant, and reading stuff like this makes me realize I have to work on it sooner rather than later.

No comments: